A university postgraduate course for a better care of venous ulcers!
In collaboration with the Alfonso X El Sabio University, the Urgo Foundation proposed a university postgraduate course in Madrid, Spain. From January to June 2023, primary care and hospital nurses specialized in wounds with a high level of decision-making power took part in this training.
The objective? To create a group of experts on early treatment of venous ulcers with compression therapy.
During a semester, the students received blended learning, led by health professionals, experts in their field. On the agenda:
- 10 online sessions
- 2 theorical face-to-face session
- 1 practical face-to-face session at the university
- 2 practical sessions in primary care / hospital centers
Students of the post-graduate acquired new competences. Indeed, they had the opportunity to:
- Learn about the anatomy and physiology of the vascular system.
- Study the pathophysiology of chronic venous insufficiency and the proper diagnosis of venous ulcers.
- Know the different types of evidence-based compression therapy and its correct application.
- Correctly monitor lesions with venous component
- To promote patient adherence.
- Evaluate the evidence and national and international clinical practice guidelines on the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of patients with chronic venous insufficiency and its complications.
- Avoid the development of recurrences.
The participants showed great interest in the program, with an overall satisfaction of 93% and very positive feedback:
“I have met wonderful colleagues, it has been a great experience very rewarding both professionally and personally.”
“ The teachers have been at the height, completely exceeding my expectations, great professionals and people.”
This postgraduate course is a real asset to ensure early treatment of venous ulcers, resulting in an improved healing time, a lower risk of complications and a reduction of treatment costs.